A hideaway located on a high plateau three hours’ drive from Quito, Mashpi Lodge sits in the heart of a 1,300-hectare (3,200-acre) Reserve which harbours both cloudforest and rainforest, part of the globally-important Choco ‘hot spot’ of biodiversity.
A profusion of plant species has adapted to this environment, creating an incredibly rich ecosystem of trees, vines, ferns, orchids and bromeliads, home to hundreds of bird species, possibly thousands of orchid species, tens of thousands of insect species, as well as monkeys, peccaries and even puma. It’s a system which is still revealing its secrets to science, still mysterious, still magical.
The sophisticated and strikingly-contemporary lodge is designed as the ideal springboard for exploring the biodiverse world of its reserve. It combined levels of comfort, service, guiding and cuisine hitherto unheard of in a tropical forest environment anywhere in the world.
The lodge, built with the latest techniques in sustainable building, is designed to blend beautifully with its surroundings. It features contemporary, minimalist decor, mixing warm earth tones, notes of bright colour, clean lines and striking angles and vistas: a luxury cocoon amid the cloudforest with the natural world just beyond, ideal for contemplation and relaxation.
Activities include visiting the Life Centre with its butterflies and plants, climbing the eight-story observation tower, riding on the innovative Sky Bike, early morning bird watching, night walks, or simply sitting back to watch the clouds play hide-and-seek with the forest.
- Accommodation in a spacious and comfortable room from 34 m2 (366 ft2)
- 3 meals per night booked
- A generous buffet lunch of Ecuadorian and international favourites
- A gourmet à la carte dinner featuring exciting menu choices
- A hearty buffet breakfast perfect for heading out to explore the Reserve
- Unlimited soft beverages (juices, water, soft drinks, coffee, tea)
- Top-notch guidance with one native and one specialized (university-trained) guide for daily excursions to explore the primary forest (in English and Spanish).
- Specially selected activities custom-chosen for you with your guide based on your interests and preferred activity level:
- Sky Bike
- Observation tower
- Life Centre with butterfly research and exhibition
- Hummingbird Lookout
- Waterfalls and hikes
- Strangler Fig Trail
- Jungle Swing Trail
- Luminous Trail
- Capuchin Monkey Trail
- Torrenteer Lagoon
- Copal Waterfall
- Magnolia Waterfall
- The Healing Waterfall
- Birdwatching and wildlife observation
- Night walks
- And many others…
- Use of rain ponchos, rubber boots and walking sticks
- Free Wi-Fi
- Transfer in /out on a shared basis from main hotels in Quito